Round trips to the central cemetery of
Approx. mid-March to early November
Daily from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (except bad weather)
The number of carriages is limited!
We therefore ask you to reserve early!
Request via eMail
(at least 2 days in advance)
Request by phone
(also possible at short notice)
Small round trip approx. 30 minutes
Price: 65, – € / per carriage / 4 adults per carriage
All tours are guided tours and you will get enough information about the Central Cemetery during the Fiaker tour.
Start at our stand, at gate 2 main entrance Zentralfriedhof, opposite the traditional confectionery Oberlaa. If all the carriages are on their way, enjoy the waiting time with coffee and cake on the wonderful terrace of the Kurkonditorei Oberlaa. We do not drive in case of rain, storm etc.!
A reservation is recommended! Inquiries for a desired date are welcome by email or phone
Old and new Jewish cemetery
As the first confessional section, the „Jewish Cemetery“ (officially called the Israelite Section of the Central Cemetery) was opened in 1879 in the west of the grounds near Gate 1. However, this section was already full by 1916, which is why the New Jewish Section (5th Gate, renamed 4th Gate before December 1996) was built at the eastern end of the cemetery grounds. The keystone to the ceremonial hall, designed by architect Ignaz Reiser (1863-1940), was laid on 12 September 1928.
In 1945, misdirected aerial bombs caused severe damage to the old section, destroying some 3000 gravesites. In the following decades, the section became visibly overgrown. In 1991, the independent association „Schalom“, founded in the same year, began to restore damaged graves, renew grave inscriptions and carry out general maintenance work. The old Jewish cemetery, where among others Arthur Schnitzler, Friedrich Torberg, Gerhard Bronner and Viktor Frankl are buried, and the new section, where among others Otto Soyka is buried, are by far the largest confessional sections on the grounds of the Central Cemetery.
Phone: +43 (0)699 181 54 022
Presidential crypt and state funeral
Directly in front of the Karl Borromäus Church is the Presidential Crypt, where the Federal Presidents of the Second Republic have been buried with full honours since 1951.
Karl Renner 1870-1950
Theodor Körner 1873-1957
Adolf Schärf 1890-1965
Franz Jonas 1899-1974
Rudolf Kirchschläger 1915-2000
Thomas Klestil 1932-2004
Kurt Waldheim 1918-2007
The very flat construction of the crypt, which was built in 1951, and the resulting not very ostentatious appearance are a consequence of the architect’s instruction not to obstruct the view of the Karl Borromäus Church. Since the tomb was originally intended only for Karl Renner, who died in 1950, only his name can be found on the stone sarcophagus in the centre of the roundhouse. The names of all buried presidents are immortalised on the cover plate to the tomb as well as on the side of the enclosure. It is possible for the spouses of the Federal Presidents to be buried in the crypt as well, but this requires the consent of the Office of the President.